Thursday, September 05, 2013

Milestones or Millstones?

I’m thinking about milestones today since this week I’m celebrating 20 years of being a minister of Religious Science. Not-so-coincidently, our Center for Spiritual Living here will also re-open this week with its first Sunday Spiritual Community service. I like to give myself presents and thought that would be pretty good one!

The Center here in the Cumberland Valley will be the second one I’ve founded (the first being what is now Center for Spiritual Living Pittsburgh South) and the third organization for which I have been the spiritual leader. People often ask me exactly what is it that makes our Centers different than mainstream churches or other spiritual communities. For that answer I always turn to the source.

When asked to describe our teaching in 25 words, the founder of our movement, Dr. Ernest S. Holmes, wrote this:  “Religious Science is a synthesis of laws of science, opinions of philosophy, and revelation of religion applied to human needs and the aspirations of [humanity].” (Okay, I know Holmes wrote “man” at the end, but it was the 50s so cut him some slack.)

I think this is still the best definition of the teaching upon which I live my life. However, the one thing about milestones is that, in our reflection of how far we’ve come, we can start criticizing ourselves about why we haven’t come farther along the course we’ve set. When this happens milestones become “millstones.”

Do you know how heavy a millstone is? Depends on the mill, actually – yes, I looked it up – but even the small ones can weigh over one hundred pounds. The “millstone around the neck” analogy comes from one of the gospels (Luke 17:2, if you must know) in which Jesus is recorded as telling his followers that it would be more advantageous for a person who has intentionally caused harm to another to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied to him. Thought I’d do a little background for you since most of us aren’t picking our flour up at the mill these days and haven’t seen a millstone in a while. Some of us aren’t picking it up at all since so many of us have found going gluten-free causes less gas, but that’s a whole other topic.

The analogy is a little harsh, but I think Jesus made his point. We can’t be dragging the millstones of our past into today and expect to have a lighter future – fade in video clip of man sinking to the bottom of the ocean with a rock attached. Sure, if I could have a “do over” of the last 20 years I’d do a few things differently. I’d have not dated that “psycho-boyfriend-from-hell” last decade, that’s for sure. I’ll wager that you would change up a couple things as well. But overall I wouldn’t change most of my life. I believe very strongly that the beliefs by which I live coupled with the most amazingly transformational technique I’ve found, called spiritual mind treatment – a form of affirmative prayer – is the reason I’m quite satisfied with where I am and where I’ve come from.

This stuff works. Everyone deserves to be happy, marry the one we love, have a great career and not worry about health or finances. Our teaching can show you how. Take a look this week at what’s holding you back from having a life truly worth living, one without constant aches and pains, depression, regret, sadness or anger on a daily basis. You’ve suffered long enough. Are you willing to try something else?

See you next Thursday – or perhaps this Sunday?

In Spirit, Truth and Playfulness,
Terry


No comments: