Saturday, March 22, 2014

What Scares the Snot Out of You?

I really wish I could take credit for the title, but I have to attribute it to my friend and colleague, Edwene Gaines. Edwene has to be one of the most authentic persons I know on planet earth. Those of you who know her are already nodding your head.

One of the many things this wise woman has taught me is that if you want to have a fulfilling life you must be authentic. “This is NOT an option!” she would say. If we are looking for a shortcut to our happiness then perhaps that is it:  We MUST be authentic if we are to live happy, fulfilled and prosperous lives. The problem we (I include myself in this equation) is that we are scared spitless of the ramifications of doing so.
What is it that’s scaring the snot out of you? If you think about what you REALLY want to do with your life, want fears come up, what obstacles are you allowing to stop you? Here are a few that come to mind:  What if they don’t like me? What if he leaves me? What if I can’t handle my success? And, my personal favorite (though you’d never hear me say it), What will I complain about?
The question for us all to answer is not about what we will do or experience if we are authentic, follow our dreams and live life full-tilt boogie. What we need to worry about is NOT being authentic. Are you experiencing depression, anxiety, weight issues, financial problems, relationship issues, career-related problems or any other problem you find insurmountable? Much of your distress is probably because you are not allowing yourself to be the magnificent, unique and amazing person you are.
Let that inner you out this week and see what happens. Do it with love, joy and excitement, not arrogance or vindictiveness. We are all awaiting the results!
In Spirit, Truth and Playfulness,

Terry

No comments: