Sunday, November 07, 2004

Back from Dad's

I missed writing yesterday due to my trip across Pennsylvania to visit my 88 year old father who lives on the other side of the state. I check in with him weekly on Sundays by phone from wherever I am, but a physical visit periodically is important to both of us.

Here is a man who is nearly 90 years old, still cooks, cleans and does laundry for himself, and , uh, also drives himself to the store and doctor. I won't go into the wisdom of this latter accomplishment, but suffice it to say he's at least agreed not to drive at night anymore.

So he's fine. At least as fine as one can be with a heart that gives him difficulty, an inability to walk very fast and a body covered in skin cancers in various stages of development or healing. Seeing him live as well as he does gives me encouragement that I might hopefully have those tenacious genes to enable me to live well into my "second hundred years."

He is nearly twice my age, but as I near my next birthday I realize I have the next 50 years to completely live my life over if I choose, or continue with what works and release that which no longer serves me. That's barring any unforeseen circumstance that might cut my life short.

It is that possibility that makes it so crucial for each of us to live each day as it might be our last. If you had only one more day, one more week, one more month or one more year to live, how would tomorrow be for you? What would you want to have accomplished? What would you simply NOT put up with anymore? And finally...what is stopping you from doing what you want to do with your life right now?

My father may not have another 50 years. But I expect I will. Seeing him this weekend again reminded me not to waste one single, solitary minute of that time.

In Spirit, Truth and Playfulness,
Dr. Terry

No comments: