Monday, November 01, 2004

To Whom Do YOU Whisper?

It's Monday, 01 November, 2004 and Fall is about fallen here in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania. The peak colors were magnificant last week. I grew up in southern California, but have not lived there in over ten years. I'm not crazy about Winter, but Fall is quite incredible. It's hard to describe to people out on the coast how a row of burning bushes look as they turn from green to bright red; or the gasp you get when you round a corner and see a bright, yellow maple. Truly a marvel. As are all the leaves one must rake later in the week. My last house in Atlanta had eight trees in the front yard and they dropped from last August to March. My current home has NO trees, save the arbor vitae at the front porch. I love enjoying other people's trees...and allowing them the exercise of cleaning up!

But....there was a point to my writing today. I recently heard this quote about trees:

"If you reveal your secrets to the wind....do not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees".

To whom do YOU whisper? In my line of work, most, if not all, of what I am told by others must be held in strict confidence. But when it comes to my own life, I'm an open book. The Dalai Lama says that his assistants NEVER tell him anything sensitive, because he'll likely share it at his next news conference, interview or public appearance! He has a pure conscious and no secrets. I can't say I don't have a few secrets, but wondering where our secrets may go after they leave our lips does give one cause for pause.

Be mindful of the power of your word. Use you gift of speech only for good, to encourage others and for the healing of our planet. Then, you may cast all your secrets to the wind, knowing that they are all for publication!

In Spirit, Truth and Playfulness,
Dr. Terry

No comments: